Mkulima Mbunifu (MKM) is a Kiswahili magazine that aims to improve access to and utilization of information on sustainable agricultural practices and technologies by small-scale farmers in Tanzania and neighbouring countries. icipe — African Insect Science for Food and Health and Biovision Africa Trust launched a successful pilot project in Tanzania between July 2011 and June 2012 with favourable response from farmers in Arusha, Kilimanjaro, Iringa, and Morogoro areas. This encouraged the development partners, particularly Biovision Foundation, to support its continued production from July 2012 to date. Currently 10,000 thousand copies of MKM are produced every two months with a readership of approximately 60,000 people, and distributed to various users including farmer groups in Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and DRC. MKM is managed by the Biovision Farmer Communication Programme in icipe, Nairobi Kenya, in partnership with Sustainable Agriculture Tanzania (SAT).
SAT through the MKM office in Arusha wishes to urgently recruit a suitable person to fill the position of MKM ASSISTANT EDITOR to support the MKM Editor in the production of the magazine. The position is tenable in Arusha, Tanzania at the MKM office. This is a two-year contract, with a possibility of extension after successfully completing a six-month probation period of the first contract.
Overall purpose of the job
The Assistant Editor will support the MKM Editor in sourcing and writing content, editing and proof reading of articles for the magazine, producing and editing pictures, sorting and sending out magazines. The assistant will also handle some administrative tasks to ensure the smooth running of the magazine project.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate is expected to support:
· Planning the publication, production and distribution of MKM issues
· Researching of content, finding original stories and contributors;
· Conducting interviews with farmers and resource persons;
· Writing and editing of articles;
· Obtaining rights to use materials from other publications;
· Allocating print space for stories/articles using layout principles;
· Preparing, sorting and sending out magazines;
· Administrative duties assigned
Knowledge required for performing the job
The role of Assistant Editor has more emphasis on technical and production tasks:
· Excellent written and oral communication skills (both in English and Kiswahili); A good grasp of grammar, punctuation and word usage are mandatory
· Meticulous and organized with attention to detail
· Knowledge of different publishing software such as InDesign, is an added advantage
· A bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communication, Media, Journalism or related fields
· A diploma in relevant field with at least 3 years experience may be considered
· At least two years’ experience in writing and editorial work
· Experience of working with small-scale farmers will be an added advantage.
This position reports to the MKM Editor.
The selected candidate should be available to start work immediately.
Applications will be accepted up to 20th September 2013. Please quote the job reference number Ref. No. MKM/AE/01/092013 on the envelope and application cover letter reference line (if you are sending hardcopies through the post), or email subject line. Please send an application (including current salary details and anticipated remuneration package), with a detailed CV, a one-page write-up on how you consider yourself suitable for the above job names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses and fax numbers) to:
P.O. Box 14402
Only applications of shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.