Mkulima Mbunifu Programme (MkM) is a farmer communication initiative that aims to improve access to and utilization of information on sustainable agricultural practices and technologies by small-scale farmers in Tanzania and neighbouring countries. Currently, 14,000 copies of the MkM magazine are produced and distributed monthly to farmers groups and other recipients in Tanzania, and parts of Rwanda, Burundi and DRC. MkM is managed by the Biovision Farmer Communication Programme in icipe, Nairobi Kenya, in partnership with Sustainable Agriculture Tanzania (SAT).
To respond to the expressed need for increased farmer communication and exchange through diversified media, the Mkulima Mbunifu Programme (MkM) in Tanzania plans to scale up and impart agricultural knowledge into rural communities through a radio program.
The MkM Radio show will be a weekly program in Kiswahili focusing on ecologically friendly agricultural practices for small-scale farmers in Tanzania. Sustainable Agriculture Tanzania (SAT) through the MkM office in Arusha wishes to urgently recruit a suitable person to fill the position of MkM RADIO ASSISTANT to support in the production of Mkulima Mbunifu (MkM) Radio Program.
The position is tenable in Arusha, for 18 months, with a possibility of extension if the project gets successfully completed and gets more funding.
Overall purpose of the job
The radio assistant will undertake research, plan and produce live and pre-recorded radio shows and also handle some administrative tasks to ensure the smooth running of the radio programs.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate is expected to support:
- Researching of content, finding original stories and contributors
- Conducting interviews with farmers and resource persons
- Script writing, recording and editing of programs
- Archiving program material
- Offering creative input to MkM magazine and other MkM initiatives.
Knowledge required for performing the job
The successful applicant will be required to have at least the following competencies:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (both in English and Kiswahili)
- Excellent interviewing skills
- Proficiency in sound editing software, e.g. Adobe® Audition®
- Recording in both studio and on location
- Outgoing and maintain good social interactions with information providers.
Requirements / Qualifications
- A Bachelors degree or equivalent, preferably in media and communication or related fields.
- A Diploma in broadcast journalism and proven experience in script writing for radio, audio editing and community media production may be considered in lieu of the University degree.
- Experience of working with small-scale farmers will be an added advantage.
- A good radio voice is required.
The successful candidate will report to MkM Editor/Country Coordinator in Arusha, with technical support from Biovision FCP Radio Manager from Nairobi.
The selected candidate should be available to start work on 1st May 2014 or earlier.
Applications will be accepted up to 25th April 2014, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier.
Only applications of shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Please send an application (including current salary details and anticipated remuneration package), with a detailed CV, names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses and fax numbers), and a one-page write-up on how you consider yourself suitable for the above job to: email@example.com
P.O. Box 14402